AS TEMPERATURES DROP, CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING RISK RISES!

Alarms_Graphic2

Even though fall has just made it’s appearance, we are getting winter like temperatures the past few days. With that being said, I’m sure your home is starting to get a little chilly resulting in you turning on your heat. As you would do a test on your air conditioning for the summer, you should also do a test on your heating units as well. Those that are not electric can be dangerous. In fact, any appliances in your house that are not electric can be a danger due to carbon monoxide. Make sure to have your appliances serviced regularly by a qualified and registered professional. Ask your utility company about yearly checkups for all gas appliances.

Carbon monoxide cannot be detected by humans without the help of a detector. Did you know that one of the most dangerous things that can hurt you and your loved ones can be hiding right underneath your nose?! By definition, carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and a tasteless gas formed when a compound containing carbon burns incompletely because there is not enough oxygen. This gas is deadly to both animals and humans.. HAVE YOUR APPLIANCES SERVICED REGULARLY BY A PROFESSIONAL!

If you do not already have an alarm system installed in your home, Central Jersey Security Cameras can help with that. We can come to your home and install an UltraSync Smart Hub alarm panel which gives you the ability to connect your carbon monoxide sensors and smoke detectors right to the alarm itself. For more information on our alarm systems, visit our website.

Carbon monoxide is known as the “silent killer” because it is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and non- irritating. Neither people nor animals can tell when they are breathing it, but it can be fatal. If the early signs of carbon monoxide poisoning are ignored, a person may lose consciousness and be unable to escape the danger. Below is a list of symptoms to not be ignored!

 

index

SYMPTOMS:

Persons with carbon monoxide poisoning often overlook the symptoms.
Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include:
• Dull headache
• Weakness
• Dizziness
• Nausea or vomiting
• Shortness of breath
• Confusion
• Blurred vision
• Loss of consciousness

 

Potential-Causes-of-CO

CAUSES:

You may be exposed to unsafe levels of carbon monoxide by:
• Using poorly maintained or unvented heating equipment.
• Improperly vented natural gas appliances like stoves or water heaters.
• Using a gas stove, grill, or oven to heat the home.
• Clogged chimneys or blocked heating exhaust vents can stop carbon monoxide from escaping.
• Cooking with a charcoal or gas grill inside the home or other enclosure.
• Using a propane camp stove, heater, or light inside a tent.
• Running vehicles in garages or other enclosed spaces. Leaving a car in a closed garage with its engine running can produce deadly amounts of carbon monoxide within 10 minutes.
• Running generators or gas-powered tools indoors or outside near windows, doors, or vents.
• Being near boat engine exhaust outlets.
• Fumes from certain paint removers and cleaning fluids can cause carbon monoxide poisoning.
• House or building fires.
• Smoking cigarettes causes blood levels of carbon monoxide to rise.
Products that contain methylene chloride (dichloromethane) should be handled with care, because methylene chloride turns into carbon monoxide when it is breathed in.

 

TX-6310-01-1_1_

PREVENTION:

Simple precautions can help prevent the leakage of carbon monoxide & carbon monoxide poisoning:
• Install carbon monoxide detectors. Put one in the hallway near each sleeping area in your house. Check the batteries every time you check your smoke detector batteries — at least twice a year. If the alarm sounds, leave the house and call 911 or the fire department. Carbon monoxide detectors are also available for motor homes and boats.
• Make sure all rooms are well ventilated and that vents are not blocked. Be especially careful in well-insulated environments.
• Open the garage door before starting your car. Never leave your car running in your garage. Be particularly cautious if you have an attached garage. Leaving your car running in a space attached to the rest of your house is never safe, even with the garage door open. Do not leave any other type of gasoline-powered motor running in a garage at all. For example, motorbikes, cars, or lawn mowers.
• Service the exhaust pipe in a motor vehicle every year.
• If the tailgate of a vehicle is open and the engine is running, open the doors and windows too.
• Use gas appliances as recommended. Never use a gas stove or oven to heat your home. Use portable gas camp stoves outdoors only. Use fuel-burning space heaters only when someone is awake to monitor them, and doors or windows are open to provide fresh air. Don’t run a generator in an enclosed space, such as the basement or garage. Never use a generator within 20 feet of a window, door, or vent. Be careful when using gas-powered tools and equipment inside rooms. And always wear a mask when using products that contain methylene chloride.
• Keep your fuel-burning appliances and engines properly vented. These include:
o Space heaters
o Furnaces
o Charcoal grills
o Cooking ranges
o Water heaters
o Fireplaces
o Portable generators
o Wood-burning stoves
o Car and truck engines
• If you have a fireplace, keep it in good repair. Have chimneys and flues swept thoroughly regularly by a fully-qualified sweep, at least once a year.
• Keep vents and chimneys unblocked during remodeling. Check that they aren’t covered by tarps or debris.
• Do repairs before returning to the site of an incident. If carbon monoxide poisoning has occurred in your home, it’s critical to find and repair the source of the carbon monoxide before you stay there again. Your local fire department or utility company may be able to help.

 

All of our alarms are either connected to Central Station Monitoring or are set up to send alerts directly to your smart device or you can even set it up to do both. Central station monitoring is a full-service nationally UL intrusion and fire alarm central station providing professional services since 1982. Having your professionally installed security alarm connected with Central Station Monitoring will alert the proper authorities when the alarm is triggered to respond to your home. Rest assured that Central Station alerts and sends the fire department right to your home before your home reaches the dangerous levels of gas that will make you sick, if not worse.

When choosing home security, it’s an investment, and when making this investment, you need to think quickly but hard on the choice you make when you choose the company to do your home security. Shop around and be sure the company you choose is BBB accredited. Read the company reviews and make sure the Central Station Monitoring you choose is UL listed. (As a side note don’t forget to check with your homeowner’s insurance. Many companies offer a discount to homeowners with UL listed alarms, and now some companies offer discounts for installing security camera systems to your home. Check with your provider to see the discounts they are willing to offer.)

Our technicians are trained to know the proper placement on where to put your carbon monoxide and fire detectors that are connected directly to Central Station Monitoring. By having your carbon monoxide detectors installed by our professionally trained technicians, you will be able to sleep easier at night. Keep your family protected today by not only installing carbon monoxide detectors, but having them monitored through a professional alarm monitoring company 24 hours a day.

Fall is the perfect time of the year to prepare your home for the winter months ahead and to keep your family safe from carbon monoxide poisoning. Call Central Jersey Security Cameras today for a free home audit on how we can help you protect your home with our UltraSync Smart Hub alarm panel that will alert you if it detects dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in your home. 732-333-0227